The Centre for Constitutional Rights (CFCR) offers suitably qualified and eager individuals an opportunity to gain experience in promoting and protecting the values, rights and principles enshrined in the Constitution.
Objective of internship
The objective of CFCR internships is to provide an opportunity for interns to gain practical training and experience following completion of a first-level law degree - ideally whilst engaged in post-graduate studies. It allows for interns to contribute to the promotion of our constitutional democracy by assisting the CFCR in conducting research regarding constitutional matters, preparing substantive documents in relation to the operation of the CFCR and assisting the CFCR in achieving its strategic objectives.
Internships are, in principle, located at the offices of the CFCR, where interns will work under direct supervision of the director and professional staff of the CFCR.
Specific assignments and responsibilities
- Assist with research and analysis of policy and legal developments, legislation, case law and current affairs with constitutional implications;
- Assist with preparation of substantive documents and articles in line with the objectives of the CFCR;
- Participate in relevant seminars and events;
- Assist with coordination of activities hosted by the CFCR; and
- Undertake ad hoc legal and administrative assignments as requested
Qualifications and competencies
- LL B. Studying towards a post-graduate qualification in Constitutional Law, Human Rights Law or Administrative Law will be an advantage.
- No professional work experience required but applicants must have a keen demonstrated interest in Constitutional Law and have a personal commitment to the ideals enshrined in the Constitution.
- Must be able communicate and write clearly and effectively in English and another official language.
- Must be able to work as part of a professional team and must be able to represent the team in a professional manner.
Internships are available on an ongoing basis for a minimum duration of 3 months and a maximum duration of 12 months. Interns will work 5 days per week (or as otherwise agreed).
How to apply
- Letter motivating application; and
- Curriculum vitae
Applications must clearly state the period during which the applicant will be available (total duration and weekly work days). Potential candidates will be contacted on an ongoing basis for further consideration.